This professional development is about autism awareness. You’ll learn some myths and facts about autism and gain practical tips from our staff to you. The course is ideal for people who wish to gain a foundational/intermediate level of autism knowledge and be able to apply this in a practical setting.
Welcome to SASI’s Autism e-learning course!
In this foundation/intermediate level professional development you will learn about what autism is and how to recognise and respond to the characteristics of Autism. The course has tips that SASI staff wish to share with you.
The course contains learning on:
- What is Autism
- Recognising the characteristics of Autism
- Co-existing conditions or comorbidities (mental health, AOD, ADHD,OCD, epilepsy, auditory processing challenges)
- How individuals with an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) may encounter services/how autism may be present in your setting
- Practical tips and strategies – supporting your practice as well as supporting others
Benefits of the professional development to you:
- Increased awareness of autism
- Learning how autism impacts on your day-to-day interactions
- Recognising the difference between a meltdown and a tantrum, and what to do (or not do)
- A host of simple tips, tools, strategies and actions that will make the communication and interaction process much easier for you and the person
- Knowledge that you can build on or use immediately
- An opportunity to use a alternative ‘lens’ of viewing a situation to help you to respond in a different way